Thursday, February 11th, 2010
1. My Wife: Who says running away to Vegas and getting married doesn’t work?!
2. Winter Olympics: Every four years, I end my patient wait to pour a glass of wine after a long night of studying or working to be blown away by a rebroadcast of the day’s snowboarding, speed skating, or cross country skiing until the wee hours of the morning.
3. When My Friends Become Successful: The past year or two has seen some hard working friends of mine get to the next level. It warms my heart.
4. Going Away to Spain on Holiday: Okay, it never happens, but… I love the thought of it.
5. The Echo Lab: I’ve recorded two albums there with Shiny Around the Edges and it is like being on vacation with the most awesome recording studio at your disposal. Tucked into the rolling horse country of Argyle, Texas, you can grill, shoot BB guns, enjoy a cocktail or two, engage fireworks, and have Matthew J. Barnhart tell you the story of what it’s like to try and transport lobster from Maine to Texas in a van while on tour in the middle of summer.
6. Huevos Rancheros: I could eat this everyday.
7. Recent Jam: Florene’s “Deal With It.” Our former rehearsal space mates released this jam on a new Waaga Records compilation. Like a lost Jean Michel Jarre track from the Oxygene sessions.
8. Intelligence: Canadian television never lets me down. This series inexplicably lasted for only two years. It utilized many of the actors from the Da Vinci’s Inquest series and a handful of X-Files regulars — as is the case with most Vancouver-based shows. My wife and I love this show and still talk about the characters on occasion. Unfortunately, despite strong fan support, it hasn’t been brought back for more seasons.
9. Temporary Art in Temporary Spaces: The urban landscape ebbs and flows in rhythm with capitalist accumulation. Why not allow local artists to have a voice and create temporary cultural spaces for the community?
10. Denton, Texas: It’s the small, Texas town full of music that your mother warned you about.Michael is a doctoral student in urban planning and public policy at the University of Texas at Arlington. You can follow him on Twitter here, visit his website here, and listen to his band here.